Friday, August 19, 2011

Look at me!!

Auditioning is such a rush.  Feelings of excitement, anxiousness, and the feeling that you may puke.  Believe it or not, I loved it.  The process was interesting because while you are dancing your ass off, the choreographer or casting director could be taking a sip of coffee, or they could be writing notes from the dancers that auditioned prior. Meanwhile, missing your audition of a lifetime.

At times this really frustrated me, but it also made it quite challenging. What can I do to stand out? What can I do where they will say..."She's hired."  Then, there where times that I knew they would remember me, but for the wrong reasons.  Did you ever watch the GONG SHOW?  Sometimes I felt I could hear the big GONGGGGGGG  ringing in my ears, or waiting to see that big hook pull me out of the audition.

I remember auditioning for a cruise line and after a few cuts, it was time to sing.  This was always my favorite part because a lot of dancers never would sing.  You would hear them sing a rendition of "Happy Birthday," which by the way is a vocally hard song to sing. My confidence on this part of the audition rocked...until I started to sing the song, "Before the Parade Basses By"  a WHOLE OCTAVE HIGHER!!!   OMG!!!    Then I did something that you are not suppose to do.  I asked if I could start over.  They did allow this.  My heart was pounding and I could taste the humiliation as a huge lump in my throat Then, I sang completely full out while...MARCHING???????   Really??  MARCHING?????...Why couldn't I stop marching?  The more I would belt out the song, the more and harder I would march. I felt as though I was having an out of body experience, watching some crazy girl trying to get a job.  After the accompaniment stopped, I stood there telling the panel that "I have no idea why I was marching....my feet took over...sorry, I am quite embarrassed"  They all laughed with me and at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment